GREAT BEND, Kan. (KSNW) — The victim of an explosion in Great Bend on Wednesday has died, according to a hospital spokesperson.

The explosion happened just after 3 a.m. Wednesday in the 700 block of 10th Street. The blast sent debris flying and caused significant damage to nearby buildings and vehicles. First responders found the victim, who was rushed to a hospital. He later died.

On Thursday, Great Bend Deputy Fire Chief Brent Smith sent an update about what happened.

“Upon completion of the investigation and the results of tests that were pending, it was found the probable cause of the explosion was a significant gas leak inside the residence, which was ignited by a source inside of the structure,” he wrote.

He said the gas line from the main to the home was intact and was not leaking. He thanked the Kansas State Fire Marshal, Great Bend Police Department, and Kansas Gas Service for helping to bring the “investigation to a close.”

Kansas Gas Service issued a statement Thursday afternoon: “Local and State authorities have completed their investigation and concluded there were no indications of an issue with Kansas Gas Service or our equipment. Safety is our highest priority at Kansas Gas Service.”

The utility company also included what people should do if they smell natural gas:

  • Leave the area immediately.
  • After you are at a safe distance, call 911 and then the appropriate gas company.
  • Do not use any electrical equipment such as phones, garage doors, or light switches until you are a safe distance from the odor.