GARDEN CITY, Kan. (KSNW) — Garden City police are urging residents to be vigilant following three different accidents, including one that killed a bicyclist Wednesday.
The department took to social media to warn both drivers and pedestrians to be more safety conscious. They offer the following safety tips.
- Obey all traffic laws and speed limits
- Watch for pedestrians at all times – use caution when backing up, and yield the right of way to pedestrians when turning
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, making eye contact to indicate that you see them
- Be careful when passing buses or stopped vehicles
- Stay alert, minimize distractions, buckle up, and put the phone down
For Pedestrians and Cyclists:
- Follow the rules of the road, obeying all traffic signs and signals
- Use designated crosswalks, sidewalks, or other pedestrian paths, and look both ways before crossing
- Don’t assume drivers can see you – be visible and predictable, wear bright/reflective clothing, and cross in well-lit areas
- Stay alert, minimize distractions, and put the phone down
- Walk with a parent, friend, or group
For more traffic safety tips, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.