WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The City of Sedan in southeast Kansas is in a stage 3 water emergency.
The emegency is in effect for any entity that purchases water from #20, which includes the following:
- CQ County RWD #1
- CQ County RWD #2
- CQ County RWD #3
- CQ County RWD #4
- City of Cedar Vale
- City of Peru
- City of Chautauqua
- City of Moline
- City of Grenola
- Elk County RWD #1
- MG County Cons #1
Sedan says drought conditions prompted the emergency. The lake level is seven feet below normal level.
Following conditions that prompted stage 3:
- Storage has fallen below 50% capacity.
- Treatment plant operations are at 90% capacity or more for three consecutive days.
- Lake or reservoir elevation is seven feet below the normal seasonal level.
- Demand for one day is in excess of .700 million gallons/day.
- Emergency conditions related to repairs or water quality.
During a stage 3 emergency, outdoor water is banned, and water waste will be prohibited.
The goal of stage 3 is to reduce the overall weekly water consumption by 25% and reduce peak demands by 50%.
Click here for a link on tips to save water.