Teen goes blind after eating junk food

News

Credit: Pixabay

BRISTOL, United Kingdom (NEWS10) – Researchers with the University of Bristol found that a poor diet can lead to blindness.

According to a study, an extreme case of “fussy” or “picky” eating caused a young person to go blind. Since starting secondary school, the patient only consumed a limited diet of chips, crisps, white bread, and some processed pork.

As a result, doctors found the patient had vitamin B12 deficiency, low copper and selenium levels, a high zinc level, reduced vitamin D level and bone mineral density.

By the time doctors correctly diagnosed what caused his condition, the impaired vision was permanent.

If caught early, the condition, nutritional optic neuropathy, is reversible; however, if it’s left untreated it could lead to permanent damage to the optic nerve and blindness.

Researchers say the condition could become more prevalent given the widespread consumption of “junk food” and the rising popularity of the vegan diet if it’s not supplemented to prevent vitamin B12 deficiency.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories