Election Guide: Leo Delperdang (R-Kansas House District 94)

Your Local Election HQ
rep_delperdang_leo_1 - Leo Delperdang_1539551332249.jpg.jpg

Website: www.delperdangforkansas.com

Biographical Information:

  • Retired 
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Electronic Communications
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
  • Master’s Degree Business Administration
  • Incumbent 94th District House of Representatives

Personal Information:

  • Married for 34 years
  • 2 children

Position on the Kansas Budget:

Kansas currently has 93 State Agencies. Of these agencies, K-12 Schools consume 52% of State General Fund, Higher Education consumes 12% of State General Fund, and Human Services consumes 26%. This totals 90% of Kansas State General Funds on an annual basis. That leaves just 10% to fund and operate the 90 remaining State Agencies. This includes Dept of Corrections, State Police, Agriculture, Adjunct General, and many others! During 2017, the Legislature forced a $1.2 Billion, Retroactive Tax Increase on all citizens of Kansas! But, they also increased spending even more! In two years, the State will once again be in the RED! This Must Stop!

Position on School Funding:

Schools continue to push for more money each year. But, what are we doing to hold schools accountable for education outcomes and graduation rates? If a school is not meeting minimum standards, then we need to offer parents the ability to move their children to another school of their choice. This helps families get involved with their children’s education results. I would also like to see Teacher Bonuses paid for individual teachers that are making a difference and are actually driving these results. Also, why is there currently a 10% minimum Well-Fair funding set up for all schools across the State? This includes extra Well-Fair funding for Blue Valley School District in Johnson County, which is the 7th wealthiest School District in the Nation! Yet, we funnel extra Kansas Tax Dollars into the district to meet a minimum Well-Fair requirement!

Position on Economy & Taxes:

Wichita is known as the Aircraft Capital of the World.  We have great skills and work ethics in this State. We need to leverage those skills and work ethics to go after new companies, plus grow employment bases of companies that we currently have in Kansas. The additional employment base also provides for additional tax funding to the State.  

Position on Health Care: 

The State is currently struggling to fund Education with annual lawsuits and increasing taxation. In 2017, we had a $1.2 BILLION Retroactive Tax Increase due to Education Funding. In 2018, we saw more tax increases. If we expand Medicaid at this time, where will the funding come from? It will result in yet a third tax increase that our residents cannot afford to pay!   

Position on Immigration:

Immigration is a positive and necessary component of our economy and our nation. However, immigration must be done legally!   

Highest Priority Issue in Office:

I am committed to work through the financial issues the State is facing. I am willing to work across party lines as needed and I ask a lot of questions. For example, I sit on the Transportation Budget Committee. When I seen $523 Million per year being swept out of the Highway Funding, I was the person who asked Why? Where is the money going and why are we allowing it to happen? As a result, we were able to move a good portion of the money back into KDOT, and put it back to work funding road and bridge projects!  This needs to continue, not only with road funding, but with other funding as well. KPERS funding is another issue that needs to be addressed and corrected.

What needs to change in our state government?

There are many eye-opening tactics and excessive spending that takes place in Topeka!  For example, we had many tough issues that needed to be addressed last year. These issues should have been addressed early in the session. Instead, we waited until the last week of the session, then had Bills given to us with little or no time to read or digest. This is no way to run any organization! Furthermore, we also see many self-serving Bills carried to the House Floor by individuals whom clearly have a conflict of interest at the expense of the Kansas Tax Payers!

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories