Shockers’ Late Run Comes up Short Against TTU

Local Sports
Wichita State Shockers GENERIC WSU initials TRIPS_1542339787756.png.jpg

Wichita State’s late fourth quarter surge came up short, falling to Tennessee Tech, 55-45, Sunday afternoon in Charles Koch Arena.

The Shockers set season lows for points (45) and field goal percentage (33.3 percent), while also committing 26 turnovers on a sloppy offensive outing. Wichita State (5-3) was also outrebounded for the second consecutive game, 37-32 – allowing 19 offensive rebounds.

Jaida Hampton was the only Shocker in double-figures with 10 points, while Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds. It marked her second game of the season with 10 or more boards.

Tennessee Tech (5-2) misfired on 20 of its 25 three-point attempts and turned the ball over 27 times, but put the ball in the hoop when it mattered. Taylor Lamb led all scorers with 17 points.
Wichita State started the first quarter missing its first six field goals, before true freshman Carla Bremaud’s three-pointer at the 7:00 minute mark put the Shockers on the board. Hampton followed with a three-pointer of her own to give Wichita State 6-3 lead at the first media timeout. Tennessee Tech would answer back with a 5-0 run before Shyia Smith’s layup ended the Shockers’ 2:30 scoreless drought.
Jada Peacock’s put-back jumper tied the game at 14 with 7:00 minutes left in the second quarter. The Golden Eagles would go on a 7-0 run before the Shockers answered back with a 5-0 run off a three pointer by Maya Brewer and layup from Lozada-Cabbage brought Wichita State within two. Wichita State trailed 27-21 at the half.
The Shockers opened the second half with a steal by Seraphine Bastin, followed by a Bremaud jumper bringing the Shockers within four. The Golden Eagles held the Shockers scoreless for just over 3:30 as the Shockers trailed by as many as 14 points. A made free throw by Raven Prince ended the drought, followed by a free throw from Hampton ended the third quarter with the Shockers down 40-27.
Hampton’s pull-up jumper midway through the fourth quarter sparked a 12-0 run to bring the Shockers within five with less than three minutes to go. A late 7-0 by the Golden Eagles ended all hope for Wichita State as the Shockers fell 55-45.

Up Next
Wichita State returns to Charles Koch Arena next Saturday, Dec. 2 when the Creighton Bluejays come to town for a 2 p.m. tip on COX YurView.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

NBA Stats

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories