Wichita State’s six-game conference win streak was snapped on Friday afternoon, behind an ECU three-run home run in the top of the sixth to even the series with a 3-2 win over the Shockers. 

The Shockers had four different players obtaining hits, with Sydney McKinney obtaining the only RBI for Wichita State. Caitlin Bingham recorded four strikeouts in five innings pitched, while Erin McDonald struck out two batters in the final two innings. 

After walking an ECU batter and putting her in scoring position off a wild pitch, Bingham struck out three of the last four batters to retire the Pirates in the first two innings. Bailee Nickerson got on with a leadoff single in the bottom of the second, scoring on an error by the Pirates’ center fielder that allowed the Shockers to take an early one-run lead. 

ECU collected its first single of the game in the top of the third, but was forced into two-out groundout to second base to retire the side. Wichita State was forced into 1-2-3 innings in its next two innings, with Adi Reese coming up with a single to right field to start the bottom of the fifth. McKinney drove in Reese from first base off a double to left center to give the Shockers a 2-0 lead. 

Tyler King led off the sixth inning with a single and Ashleigh Inae put the tying run on second by drawing a walk, forcing Wichita State to go to Erin McDonald at pitcher. After ECU was forced into a flyout at first in foul territory, the Pirates snagged the lead thanks to Morgan Halo’s third home run of the year. 

The Shockers tried to respond in the next half-inning with Madison Perrigan drawing a walk and Laurie Derrico singling to shortstop, but ECU turned a 3-6 double play following a fielder’s choice to protect its one-run lead. Despite getting the tying run on second base in the bottom of the seventh, the Shockers were unable to capitalize and were forced to a fly out and a strikeout to end the game. 

Wichita State (27-20, 8-6) looks for the series win against ECU on Saturday, with first pitch beginning at 11 a.m. at Wilkins Stadium.