TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – The division two Presidents Council has canceled all 2020 fall championships due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The NCAA Board of Governors told each division to make their own decision regarding fall sports championships. Eleven of the 23 division two had already announced they will not compete in athletics during the traditional fall season.
“After reviewing and discussing the Board of Governors’ directives, the Division II Presidents Council made the difficult decision that holding fall championships in any capacity was not a viable or fiscally responsible option for Division II,” said Sandra Jordan, chancellor of South Carolina Aiken and chair of the council.
This decision will remove championships from seven fall sports, including football. Washburn and Emporia State’s fall sports teams will not have the opportunity to compete for national championships this year.
- Northwest High finds a way to still honor fall senior athletes admist the pandemic
- ‘The need is great and the reward is worth it: Red Cross is asking for volunteers
- TikTok ban starts Sunday, users wonder what will happen next
- Wichita Open to include numerous precautions, no spectators allowed
- T.J.’s Forecast: High pressure holds strong, more haze expected into the weekend