WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police have released the names of a mother and her child who were found shot to death in the 4500 block of South Walnut, near 45th St. South and Seneca.
The victims are Mickayla Sorell, 24, and 8-year-old Natalya Sorell. Police think they may be the victims of domestic violence and are looking for Sorell’s boyfriend, Daniel O. Lopez, 25, and consider him to be possibly armed and dangerous.
Police believe the mother and daughter were killed Saturday evening, but they were not found until Mickayla Sorell did not show up for work Monday and someone asked police to check on her.
“Saturday night my roommate had said something about maybe hearing gunshots,” said Tonya White. “It is just very shocking.”
“If I needed her she would always try to make my shift better,” says Tamra Kealy.
Kealy says she worked with Sorrell years ago and remembers her as someone who never changed even as the years passed by. She remembers a time recently when she ran into Sorrell at a gas station.
Police are asking anyone who has information to call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (316) 267-2111.
There have been 14 homicides in Wichita in 2020.
The investigation is ongoing.
Police also shared ways that people dealing with domestic violence can get help. Call:
- Sedgwick County, 911
- Harbor House Domestic Violence Shelter, 263-6000
- YWCA Women’s Crisis Center, 263-2313
- Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center, 263-0185
- StepStone, 265-1611
- Women’s Initiative Network, 262-3960
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.
- White Coats For Black Lives: Local healthcare workers kneel to end racial inequality
- Biden formally clinches Democratic presidential nomination
- Kansan who didn’t wear mask during Lawrence protest infected with COVID-19
- ‘Definitely a blessing’: Wichita State basketball alumni Samajae Haynes-Jones returns home from Australia amid pandemic
- ‘I am one of you’: Rhode Island firefighter’s emotional story of racial profiling by police