SALINA, Kan. (KSNW) — Wind is creating dangerous conditions for drivers Thursday. Strong gusts are kicking up dust and reducing visibility in some areas. The gusts are also strong enough in some areas to topple tractor-trailers and campers.
The Kansas Highway Patrol posted a picture of a truck on its side on U.S. Interstate 70, slightly east of Salina.
The KHP included this message on its Facebook page: “The FIRST of what might be many today due to the HIGH WINDS Keep a strong grip of your steering wheel and stay ready.”
Kansas Secretary of Transportation Julie Lorenz was the passenger in a van driving by the scene.
Lorenz took a picture and posted a safety message on her Twitter account.
“Outside Salina on I-70. Be careful out there — v high winds. Thx to our partners @kshighwaypatrol for all you do,” she wrote.
Another truck blew onto its side in Sheridan County, on U.S. Highway 83, mile marker 193.
In a photo from the Sheridan County Sheriff’s Office, you can see the dust blowing in the distance. The sheriff is asking drivers to use extreme caution.
Around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, a camper ended up in the median of U.S. Highway 50 between Garden City and Holcomb. The Kansas Department of Transportation said the wind is also breaking some road signs in western Kansas.
KSN Storm Track 3 meteorologists are tracking the wind speeds, dust, and damage:
Thursday — 5:41 p.m.
- 2 ENE Goodwell (Texas Co, OK) — 62 mph gust
- 1 WSW Guymon (Texas Co, OK) — 64 mph gust
- 2 W Edson — 60 mph gust
- 2 NNW Atwood — 61 mph gust
- 12 N Edson — 70 mph gust
- 3 NW Pierceville — 61 mph gust
- Russell Airport — 61 mph gust
- 1 NE Selden — Trucks blown over northeast of Selden
- 3 E Brewster — A camper was blown over on I-70 at MM39. Visibility was limited.
- 1 NE Trenton (Hitchcock Co, NE) — Semi flipped over according to a social media report
- McCook (Red Willow Co, NE) — Wendy’s sign blown down
- 4 ENE Bloom — Truck and trailer rollover
Thursday — 1:32 p.m.
- 9 miles SSE Sharon Springs — 60 mph gust
- 1 mile E Hill City — 63 mph gust
- 1 mile NNE Goodland — 70 mph gust
- 2 miles E McCook (Red Willow Co, NE) — 71 mph gust
- 3 miles WNW Trenton — 60 mph gust
- 4 miles S McCook (Red Willow Co, NE) — 65 mph gust
- 1 mile NNE Goodland — 68 mph gust; visibility reduced to 5 miles due to blowing dust
- 9 mile WSW Winona — 65 mph gust
- Trenton (Hitchcock Co, NE) — 62 mph gust
- 5 mile S Tribune — 60 mph gust
- Leoti — 60 mph gust
- 3 miles NW Pierceville — 62 mph gust
- 1 mile S Coolidge — 60 mph gust
- 1 mile NNE Weskan — Visibility 1/4 to 3/8 mile just outside of town
- 4 miles W Edson — Brown out conditions reported on I-70 near mile marker 23
- 6 miles SSW Caruso — Visibility at or below 1/4 mile due to blowing dust
- 8 miles WSW Palisade (Hitchcock Co, NE) — Near 0 visibility reported on Veterans Memorial Highway between CR 723 and 724
- Saint Francis — Brown out conditions reported
- 3 WNW New Cambria — Semi rolled over on I-70, traffic flow reduced to one lane
Thursday — 11:40 a.m.
- 1 ENE Garden City — 64 mph gust
- 2 E McCook (Red Willow Co, NE) — 65 mph gust
- 4 W Wallace — 60 mph gust
- 2 SSE Wallace — 65 mph gust
- 1 NNE Goodland — 66 mph wind gust
- Saint Peter — Dust storm reported with near-zero visibility
- 1 SSW Clayton — 50 to 75 mile wide plume of blowing dust with near zero visibility
- 2 ESE Brewster — Semi turned over on I-70 (Broadcast media reporting that it is blocking I-70E)